According to Ayurveda, seasonal and weather changes significantly affect the physical and mental body. Many factors like temperature, humidity, wind, rain, and daylight hours, all influence the body’s natural cycles and vital systems. So, we must know how to adapt diet and lifestyle in order to maintain balance in digestion, sleep, immunity, and energy. As the seasons change, so must our daily routine. This practice is known as a ritucharya. “Ritu” means “season” and “charya” means “routine”. Ritucharya is a seasonal regimen for diet and lifestyle that helps maintain health and well-being. Some activities in life should never be disturbed, like sleep. No matter what the situation is, body requires proper rest. Thus it becomes important to get proper sleep to function our body normally. Many tips are always available, but it weights totally different when it’s about Ayurveda. Preference differs from person to person, some likes meditations, some likes pills whereas Ayurveda is in other’s choice. Here are some tips that can be easily implemented in habit to get better slip.
Tips for better Sleep
- Place thin packets of aromatic, relaxing herb/flower potpourri in your pillows.
- Do not bring work-related material into the bedroom.
- Wear comfortable clothing to bed cotton is recommended.
- The bedroom should ideally be dark or very dimly lit.
- Keep your bedroom clean and orderly to limit disorderly thought.
- Calming or settling activities as bedtime draws near help prepare the mind and body for rest.
- Drink a cup of warm milk before bed.
- Use calming aroma therapy oils to help you feel more settled.
- Go to bed before 10 p.m. During the drowsy Kapha time of night.
- Listen to soothing music before bed such as Maharishi Gandharva-Veda melodies.
- Poppy Seed Chutney is a natural sleep aid.
- Avoid arguments or intense entertainment right before bed.
- Have your last meal about three hours before you go to bed.
- Eat light at dinner and minimize hot spicy foods.
- Wash your face, hands and feet just before bed.
- A warm 20-minute bath an hour before bed can help you relax. Infuse bath water with relaxing aroma oils for added benefit.